Monday, January 4, 2010

Writing Assignment 1

Mathematics is a whole new language. It proves how the world works, or at least that is what I have always been told. To me mathematics is organized. There is a right answer to what you are working on. The solution is always there, you just have to find it. Except, sometimes you don't.

I learn mathematics best when there is an unnatural amount of structure. This is obviously not the best method for everyone but it works for me. I need a teacher to make me feel like their class is the most important class I will ever take. Now this may seem silly but if all my teachers make me feel like this then I put in my very best effort in every class.

It has been my experience that when my teachers give me the opportunity to work out problems with them I learn the most. When a teacher makes me feel like they want me to come ask them every one of my questions then I learn more.

In my high school math classes, weekly quizzes were a good thing. They let me know if I needed to work harder and what I was missing. Examples were also crucial. I have a hard time applying theorems without lots of examples guiding me through.

I think that one of the negative aspects of high school math is the negative outlook everyone has towards it. There is this idea in high school that you'll never need the math you are learning. Students lose interest fast and stop trying. You can't stop trying in a math class.

4 comments:

  1. I found lots to think about from your entry. I'm particularly curious about your view of mathematics. You say you've been told that math proves how the world works. Do you believe that? If it doesn't do that, then what's the purpose of math? It also seems that you're somewhat extrinsically motivated about learning mathematics. Do you find math interesting? Do you find it useful? Do you ever do mathematics just because you're interested in it?

    When you talk about classes being overly structured, what do you mean? Do you think that would be helpful to people in general, or just to you? Do you think your students will be like you, will want an overly structured class and a teacher who wants them to ask every question they have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also understand concepts the best when I go over them with the professor. In those settings I feel like the concept actually sticks and I am getting the answer to my question to someone who really knows instead of learning an incorrect method.
    I agree that passion for the subject is important, but I dont think I am exactly sure what you are meaning by structure. well done. I like your views.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to think about math as a language also. It truly is a way to “speak” of the world around us. Maybe that is way you feel like you need a ton of structure in a math classroom. I also like the idea of weekly quizzes. I think that is a great way to ensure that your students are learning each concept as you go. Because math builds on itself, your method sounds very helpful.

    One suggestion in order to help your students learn better would be to help them “exercise” their math brain muscles. There are lots of ways to do this and really, one retains so much more if he or she practices over and over a concept.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with negitive attitude towards math affects the learning of students. I think that we as future teachers really need to find a way to get kids really excited about math. I personally hated math until I had a teacher who had an extreme passion for math and he made it fun and he was always excited about it. We even had t-shirts made for everyone in the class and had a design contest for those shirts. I also think you hit it right on when you said that you like it when teachers make you feel like they want you to ask questions. I wonder what it's going to take to come accross that way?

    ReplyDelete